National Knowledge Network (NKN)
National Knowledge Network (NKN) project is aimed at establishing a strong and robust Indian network which will be capable of providing secure and reliable connectivity. In India, NKN with its multi-gigabit capability aims to connect all universities, research institutions, libraries, laboratories, healthcare and agricultural institutions across the country to address such paradigm shift. Presently over 1500 institutes are connected. NKN is also providing an ultra-high speed backbone for e-Governance and has links to multiple Global Networks.
Some of the salient features of the NKN are:
• Establishing Connectivity for Knowledge and information sharing.
• Enabling Collaborative Research in emerging areas such as Climate Modeling.
• Facilitating distance education in specialized fields such as medicine, emerging high tech areas covering info-bio-nano technology.
• Facilitating an ultra-high speed e-governance backbone for information sharing.
NKN network is designed with the aim of providing:
• Highest level of availability
• Robust & reliable connectivity
• Highest level of Scalability (specifically planned to match the unknown future demands which cannot be envisaged currently)
• Best Bandwidth Capacity: For NKN, various National Long Distance Carriers (NLDs) have provided 1Gbps / 2.5Gbps capacity links which can be self-healed. Further, the NLDs are in process of upgrading (using DWDM) to 10Gbps or more connectivity.
The main services of NKN can be broadly categorized under the following heads:
• Generic Services: Internet, Intranet, Network Management Views, e-Mail, Messaging Gateways, Caching Gateways, Domain Name System, Web Hosting, Voice over IP, Multipoint Control Unit (MCU) Services, Video Portals, SMS Gateway, Co- Location Services, Video Streaming etc.
• Community Services: Shared Storage, e-Mail List Software Application (LISTSERV), Authentication Service, EVO, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), Collaboration Service, Content Delivery Service, International Collaborations with EU-India Grid, Global Ring Network for Advanced Applications Development (GLORIAD) etc.
• Special Services: Virtual Private Network Stitching Services [VPN@L2 (Virtual Private Wire Service / Virtual Private LAN Service), VPN@L3] etc.